3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80ml) high quality, mild flavoured oil (such as grapeseed)
1/3 cup (80ml) water
1 Tablespoon rosewater
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 box Simple Mills Vanilla Cake Mix
Chocolate frosting of choice
Food grade rose petals for decoration (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C (160C Fan). Thoroughly grease two 6” round cake pans and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, then mix in the oil, water, rosewater, and vanilla extract.
3. Once the liquid ingredients are thoroughly combined, stir in the cake mix until the batter is smooth.
4. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a tester inserted into the centre of one of the cakes comes out clean. Baking times may vary by appliances.
6. Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. Decorate with chocolate frosting and food grade rose petals (available online or at specialty baking stores), or however you like!
• If you prefer to make cupcakes, line a 12-compartment cupcake pan with papers or grease it thoroughly. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 compartments. Bake in the preheated (350F/180C/160C Fan) oven for about 18-25 minutes until a tester inserted into the centre of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
• The trickiest part about layer cakes is baking level layers. My favourite easy trick is to hold the pan about an inch above the counter and drop it to get the excess air out.
• Make sure your cake layers are completely cooled all the way through before frosting and decorating,.