One box Simple Mills Pancake and Waffle Mix
3 large eggs
1/4 cup (60ml) Kefir plus 1/4 cup (60ml) water OR 1/2 cup (120ml) dairy or nut milk
2 TBSP grapeseed or olive oil
1 lb/0.5kg approximately 8 boneless chicken strips, raw
3 TBSP pancake mix
Sea salt, black and cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 415F/ 207C (187C Fan) and waffle iron to medium/medium-high heat.
2. Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
3. Remove 2 TBSP of the whisked eggs and put into a small, oblong but shallow dish.
4. On a small plate, mix only 3 TBSP of the pancake and waffle mix with sea salt, cayenne and black pepper to taste.
5. Insert chicken tenders first in the small dish of eggs, and then coat them in the dry mixture.
6. Place on an oiled or non-stick sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, into the large mixing bowl of whisked eggs, combine remaining pancake and waffle mix, oil, kefir and water (1/2 cup total liquid) or substitute with dairy or nut milk.
8. Measure out just under ¾ cup of the batter and pour onto the waffle iron.
9. Cook 4 - 4 ½ minutes.
10. Repeat three times with remaining waffle batter.
Serving Suggestion: Simply top each waffle with two chicken tenders, butter and a generous drizzle of pure maple syrup. Or, opt for a savoury twist on this tasty duo and smother the chicken ‘n waffles with homemade gravy instead.
*No waffle iron? No worries! Just make pancakes and top ‘em with the tenders instead – same satisfying flavour, just a different shape!