- 1 packet of Yellow cake Mix
- 1 cup (240g) dairy free margarine, (or unsalted butter for egg free version) softened or shortening
- 1 cups (180g) caster sugar
- ½ cup (120ml) milk substitute (or milk for egg free version)
- 2 Tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125g) ground flaxseed
- 1 cup (240ml) tepid or warm water
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C (160C Fan).
Generously grease 9” x 13” rectangular cake pan or two 9” round pans or line cupcake pans with 24 cupcake wrappers.
In small bowl, mix ground flaxseed with water and set aside while mixing the other ingredients.
Place butter/margarine/shortening and sugar in bowl of mixer with paddle attachment (or in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand). Beat well until light and fluffy.
Add cake mix, vanilla and milk (or milk substitute) to bowl. Mix well.
Add Flaxseed/water mixture. Mix until smooth. Scrape sides and bottom of mixing bowl with a spatula. Mix again for approximately 3 minutes.
Pour Mixture into the prepared pan(s). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean (approximately 30 minutes for 9” rounds or 40 minutes for 9” x 13” pan). Baking times may vary by appliance.
Cool in pan(s) for approximately 3-5 minutes. Carefully remove cake(s) from the pan(s) and let them cool completely before frosting.